Happy National Donut Day! Sadly, traditional donuts are loaded with refined sugar and fat. So what’s a health and wellness company to do on National Donut Day? Swap out the frying for baking, the sugar for honey and the flour for protein. Simple! Next time you’re craving a donut but don’t want the excess calories, fat or refined sugar, try these easy, high protein, gluten and dairy free Protein Donuts.
Donut Baking Pan
1 cup almond meal
½ cup oat flour
½ cup Shaklee Protein Powder (chocolate or vanilla)
1 tsp baking soda
3 tablespoons honey
4 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
½ cup almond milk
4 tablespoons nut butter of your choice (optional, to use as frosting)
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In a bowl, whisk together almond meal, oat flour, protein powder, baking soda and baking powder.
- Stir in eggs, honey, coconut oil and almond milk. The batter should be somewhat thick, but if it’s clumpy and difficult to stir, add a little more milk or water.
- Line your donut pan with coconut oil.
- Spoon batter into a bag, cut the corner off and use to pipe donut batter into the donut pan.
- Bake at 325°F for 10-15 minutes, until golden brown.
- Allow donuts to cool. Then drizzle nut butter of your choice for “frosting.” Feel free to get creative with these. Throw in dried fruit, nuts or dark chocolate chips. Sprinkles optional. Balance, right!