Our mission is to bring true wellness to the world, and that includes the world we live in. Shaklee was eco-friendly before it was a “thing.” In fact, we’re the first company in the world to be certified Climate Neutral, which means that we’ve completely offset our CO2 emissions, resulting in a net zero impact on the environment. While we’ve been carbon neutral since 2000, Shaklee has prioritized environmental stewardship since our founding in 1956. In the 1960s Shaklee introduced one of the first nontoxic, biodegradable cleaners, and in the 1970s Shaklee introduced one of the first biodegradable laundry detergents without phosphates, nitrates, or borates. In 1989 Shaklee helped build schools and health clinics and planted more than one million trees in Asia through a partnership with the American Himalayan Foundation®. In 1990 our nontoxic, biodegradable Basic-H® became one of the first official Earth Day products. And on Earth Day in 2009 we planted the millionth tree at the Shaklee World Headquarters in Pleasanton, California as part of our A Million Trees, A Million Dreams™ campaign. And the list goes on. Shaklee has always been rooted in nature, and we do everything in our power to protect it—from how we source ingredients to how we run our company.
Every year presents new opportunities for Shaklee to embrace circularity, reduce our impact, and take sustainability to the next level. This past year we focused on minimizing our use of plastic, reducing packaging and shipping weight, and sourcing recycled or recyclable materials to continue to cut down on waste and emissions. To honor our pledge to the planet, we want to give you an update on our sustainability achievements from last year, our goals for this year, and the progress we’re making to minimize our impact on the environment.
Here’s What We Achieved in 2022
- We were able to save 4,418 lbs of plastic by transitioning our Collagen-9™ canisters to resealable gusset bags. This change is projected to save 6,642 lbs of plastic this coming year.
- We planted over 30,000 trees with our partnership with American Forests®. Our commitment to planting 10 million trees is one of the most important things we can do to help sustain our planet. You can learn more about exactly how tree planting helps the environment here.
- We have made changes to be more energy efficient in the way we process orders at our fulfillment center. Our transition to motion-activated LED lights and a higher-efficiency shipping pack line has helped reduce energy usage by 30%. We’ve also switched from air pillows to 100% post-consumer waste recycled paper for void fill during shipping packaging.
- We are committed to investing in more sustainable plastic choices to reduce the use of virgin plastic. This includes our transition to powder scoops made from 100% post-consumer recycled plastic. This switch helped keep the equivalent of 510,000 bottle caps out of landfills.* Also, the packaging for all our new Shaklee Body products is made up of 37–77% recycled plastic.
Our Goals for 2023
- As a company that has been carbon neutral for 20 years, Shaklee will work towards decarbonization goals throughout our entire supply chain. We’ve partnered with business sustainability ratings provider EcoVadis to gain insight into our suppliers’ sustainability and carbon management practices. This includes learning more about how our suppliers engage in Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) areas within their business. EcoVadis provides expert intelligence and evidence-based ratings to help organizations of all sizes to monitor and improve the sustainability performance of their business and trading partners. Learn more about what it means for us to be climate neutral and how we’ve been able to offset 100% of our greenhouse gas emissions here.
- We will reduce our annual plastic use by an estimated 38,000 lbs and packaging weight by 84% by transitioning all Life Shake™ canisters to resealable gusset bags.
- We want to ensure that more of our packaging is either reused, given a second life, or placed in the recycling bin. To do this, we will share our knowledge and provide simple guides and instructions on our product pages to make it easier for customers to upcycle and recycle product packaging. Together, we can reduce our impact on the planet.
- To reduce packaging waste going forward, we will incorporate more reusable, compostable, and refillable packaging solutions with future products.
We hold ourselves to the highest environmental standards. By 2025 our goal is to have 100% of all packaging and shipping material we use be recyclable, reusable, refillable, compostable, or made with post-consumer recycled materials. Also, our Climate Neutral initiative will cover all scope 3 carbon emissions, including those produced by our suppliers, shipping partners, employees, and more. But our efforts won’t stop there; we will continue to update you with our progress and new sustainability goals.
Let’s Protect Our Planet Together
We only have one planet that we call home, and we believe that it deserves to be protected. We’re committed to environmental stewardship and will continue to find ways to improve our earth-friendly practices, reduce our impact, and create a healthier world for everyone. Climate change affects us all, and there are many ways that you can help protect our planet too. The best way to start is to understand your impact and learn the importance of reducing your carbon footprint. Click here to learn a few ways that you can be a more conscious consumer. Then you can incorporate small, eco-friendly habits into your daily routine, like upcycling, composting, and conserving water. See this article for 10 simple steps you can take to help the environment.
*Over 51K total scoops converted as per this X 10 bottle cap estimate. One Shaklee PCR Scoop is equivalent in weight to ten 0.63 g bottle caps.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.