Sun protection is a crucial part of skin care and offers anti-aging benefits. Why? Because the sun is responsible for most of our skin’s visible aging, like fine lines, wrinkles, age spots, and skin elasticity. And while we all love the feeling of sunshine on our skin, overexposure to the sun without sun protection can not only age the appearance of your skin but damage it as well.
Let’s shed some light on the facts.
Did you know that even on a cloudy day, UV rays from the sun reach the earth’s surface and penetrate your skin. UV exposure is responsible for 80% of your skin’s visible aging because sun damage affects all layers of your skin, including the epidermis, dermis, blood vessels, sebaceous glands, and melanocytes. Sun damage can cause premature wrinkling, sagging, under-eye bags and may weaken the elasticity of your skin. Sun-damaged skin is also easier to irritate and bruise.
While sun exposure plays a big factor in visible skin aging, the good news is that it’s readily manageable with the right protection!
Block the UV rays, and you can help block many of the visible signs of aging.
Simply put, if you can help prevent the sun’s UV rays from penetrating your skin, you can lessen the sun’s effects on your skin. Here are a few easy tips for how to use clothing and sunscreen to protect your skin from the sun.
Sun safety tips:
- Include a sunscreen in your daily skin care routine, especially if you spend a lot of time outdoors. The sun doesn’t “turn off,” so you always need something to help filter its effects.
- If you’re going out, consider wearing a sun hat, visor, scarf, or anything that can help shield your face and neck from the sun.
- When you’re choosing a sunscreen, make sure you find one that’s rated SPF 30 or greater. This is the minimum rating recommended by dermatologists worldwide because it blocks 97% of UVB rays.
- Also make sure that your sunscreen is broad spectrum, meaning that it protects you from both the UVA and UVB rays in sunlight.
- You don’t have to use a “beach day” sunscreen every day, because there are moisturizers available that include sunscreen. This will make it easier to incorporate into your skin care routine.
- If you’re in the sun for much of the day, don’t forget to reapply your sunscreen every two hours. This will ensure that your skin is always protected!
No matter your age, sun protection is the most important thing you can do for your skin. So, go ahead and enjoy the summer sun, knowing you’ve taken the best steps to help protect both the look and the health of your skin!